Sunday, November 7, 2010

This is the fun part...

Kids, they say the fun part of dating is that feeling you get when you meet someone new for the first time... the excitement of waiting for the next time you see her... and that constant nagging in the pit of your stomach. Is she really the right person for me? How does she feel about me? Could this possibly work out?

So I met her again today... outside of her day job she's an actress who does community theater, and we went to a play that some of her friends were performing in. It actually was really good, I would have enjoyed it whether she was there or not... but I enjoyed it more with her there, of course. Afterwards we went out to dinner and had a good time chatting about this, that and everything else under the sun.

I think the true test of how you feel about someone requires you to get over that initial excitement and see how your feelings are after that. It's so easy to be like "oh yeah, she's the one!" when you first meet, then you come down off your high and reality sets in and you go "what was I thinking? She's OK, but not all that." Fortunately, I didn't reach that dramatic low. I've definitely lost a little of that high I had after the first date, but that's to be expected, I think. She's still pretty impressive to me. I think things are going well at this point, but it's hard to tell just after two dates.

Of course, history being a good indicator for me, if I reach the third date with someone, there's definitely some quality there. I have almost always given up if I don't find any chemistry at all by the 2nd date, it's just not worth it.

No plans for a third date yet, but we preliminarily had discussed Thursday night. I think she's still interested, but haven't discussed again after today. I can't say I wouldn't be disappointed if I didn't see her again, nor that I can decrypt what I just said considering how many negatives were in it. Still hoping something good can come of this. If nothing else, I can say it's at least the most exciting my life's been in several months, and that's worth something.

This is the fun part? It really is, but the funny thing is you never really realize it until after it's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment