Friday, November 5, 2010

Fear of the unknown...

Kids, it's funny how much you want something to happen, then when it actually does happen you aren't quite sure what to do. I recently met somebody. Not sure if she's "the" somebody, but she's certainly "a" somebody.

Now, normally I don't write much here about the dates I go on, simply because they are either so unmemorable they aren't worth mentioning, or they just don't lead anywhere so they still aren't worth mentioning. But the other night I met someone for dinner, and she was charming. I met her online, and had gotten to know her a bit in the few days leading up to it, but then meeting her in person she was, dare I say, exactly like the person I thought she was.

Let me digress a bit to explain... I've had bad luck with meeting people online. In the vast majority of the cases, people don't turn out to be the same person in real life that they represented themselves to be online. I don't think a great many people intentionally mis-represent themselves, but I think a lot has to do with the fact that so few people are mature and know who they really are, rather than the person they think they are or want to be.

I've found that I'm most attracted to someone who is very comfortable with herself. I don't care if you're a supermodel, a genius, or a girl from the other side of the tracks... be who you are.

So back to the date... I wasn't certain at the time if the chemistry was really there. You never really know when you meet someone you originally met online for the first time. But for some reason this time was markedly different from all the other times. We really seemed to hit it off, and oddly enough, I didn't expect it. I thought it would be a nice evening, then we'd go our separate ways and figure it wasn't meant to be. And now ever since I haven't been able to get her out of my mind. I haven't felt quite this same way about someone in a very long time.

Yet I still doubt if it's right. We'll meet up again hopefully this weekend, and see how spending more time together goes. She's nice, cute, cares about other people, a UW grad (hey, never hurts), and is just fun to talk to and get to know. I can work with that.

More to come... maybe... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment