Sunday, May 16, 2010

Online Dating Profile Deal-breakers

Kids, you really only have one chance to make a first impression. In the world of online dating, that first impression is your profile page. Everything from the pictures you include, to what you choose to write, to most importantly how you choose to write it can make a significant impact on how you are perceived.

One of the most annoying things I read is what I call the inappropriate use of etcetera. This is using "etc." to end a list of things that have absolutely nothing in common. For example, one profile I read today had:

"I like reading, history, theatre, movies, kids, etc."

WHAT THE HELL DOES "ETC." MEAN IN THIS CASE? I could conceivably add "rattlesnakes, skydiving, polka music, etc." and it would fit just as well. How am I supposed to know what else you like unless you tell me? I never knew a thing about you until I started reading your profile.

Second most annoying thing has to do with profile pictures. WHAT is the deal with taking a picture of yourself in a mirror? Do people have no other pictures of them? Could they not find a friend to take a picture of them? I don't know why this one bothers me so much, but it seems like you're just a slacker.

That said, apparently one of the big annoyances for women searching men's profiles (because a rather large number of women's profiles say it's annoying) is men have a habit of posting shirtless self-pictures in their profiles. I will certainly say that I have never done so, but was wondering what exactly most guys are thinking by doing so? Perhaps they are so out of touch with what women like, that they believe that women want exactly what men want (and what man wouldn't want to see a shirtless picture in a girl's profile?).

There are plenty more deal-breakers for me, but I think I'm just abnormally picky. No, I KNOW I'm abnormally picky. But that's my own problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment